The Great Kitchens at Stirling Castle
© Virtual Scotland
Stirling Castle: The Great Kitchens
The above photograph shows the entrance to the Great Kitchens of Stirling Castle. The sixteenth century Great Kitchens served the Great Hall. Unfortunately the kitchens were once much larger, in 1689 the vaults over them were removed to allow construction of the Great Battery. In 1921 work began on the excavation and reconstruction of the vaults which now contain a fantastic display which shows how the kitchens would have looked when in use during the sicteenth century.
The photographs below show some of the large display in the Great Kitchens. Please click the thumbnails to view enlargements.